Cucumbers are one of the most cultivated vegetable in the world. It is easy to farm and it can grow and almost any soil and any area which has the four seasons cycling. Being one of the easies vegetable to grow and its ability to grow anywhere, the use of Cucumbers in recipes (mostly salads) is enormous. Their freshness is always welcomed in Spring and Summer on hot days.
Here are the health benefits of eating Cucumbers:
1. The first and the best benefit of eating Cucumber is its “water supply”. Cucumbers are 95% water, which makes the kind of a “refreshing drink”. A lot of people eat a cucumber to freshen up and prevent dehydration instead of drinking water.
2. A second benefit of eating Cucumbers is their Vitamin C containment. Along with the “water supply” ability, cucumbers contain significant amounts of Vitamin C, especially in its skin. It is recommended that the cucumber is digested along with the skin without previous peeling.
An important thing to know before eating a cucumber with its skin is that you must wash the vegetable thoroughly. Some farmers tend to spray the cucumbers while they are growing in order to prevent them against pesticides. Organic Cucumbers are always the best choice.
3. Cucumbers take good care of the skin and hair. We’ve all seen on TV when fashion models put slices of cucumbers on their eyes and face. Well, they are right as the cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties which a reduce puffiness.
4. Cucumbers are great against bad breath. Just press a slice of cucumber on the roof of the mouth for thirty seconds and the phytochemicals will eliminate the bacteria causing the bad breath.
5. The three lignans: secoisolariciresinol, pinoresinol and lariciresinol are known to be great reducers of several cancer types, like uterine cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer and breast cancer. These three lignans can be found in the cucumber.
6. The containment of fiber magnesium and potassium in the cucumber makes it capable of blood pressure regulation. High and low blood pressure can be regulated by eating cucumbers on a regular basis.
7. Diabetics can also benefit from eating cucumbers, as they contain a hormone that can produce insulin for the needs of the pancreas cells.